Fashion, Filters, and Porn Are Selling You the Same Thing


Every morning, after I drop my daughter at school, I read. Some days it's ten minutes. Some days it's two hours, whatever the book will give me. Then I open YouTube, and that's where this particular morning went somewhere I didn't expect.

The first video was Dhruv Rathee on fast fashion, how the clothes we buy and barely wear are quietly one of the biggest sources of carbon emissions and microplastics on the planet. I watched the whole thing. Before I could even close the tab, the feed had already decided what I needed next, a podcast about how porn and everything built around it have left an entire generation's desires permanently unfulfilled. And somewhere inside that podcast, almost as a throwaway line, the host mentioned microplastics from clothing too, the same fact from the video I'd just watched, resurfacing in a completely different conversation about a completely different kind of want.

I closed my eyes after that, sat back in my chair, told myself I'd take ten minutes to just breathe. When I opened them, the feed had moved on without me. Another Dhruv Rathee video, this time on Nykaa and the wider cosmetics industry, and how precisely their algorithms are built to work on women's minds at scale.

Three videos. Fashion, desire, appearance. My thoughts were moving faster than I could actually think them, and I remember sitting there thinking: nobody made me watch any of this against my will, and I still can't tell you when I lost control of the morning.

The Slot Machine You Carry in Your Pocket

Here's the part that took me longest to actually sit with. The algorithm that served me a video about manufactured desire was, in that exact moment, manufacturing my desire to keep watching. It wasn't an accident or an irony. It was the same machine doing the same job it always does, just with a more self-aware subject line.

Tristan Harris, the former Google design ethicist, has said the plainest version of this I've ever heard: every time he checks his phone, he's playing the slot machine to see what he got. That's not a metaphor he reached for casually. Social platforms are built on what psychologists call a variable reward schedule, the exact mechanism B.F. Skinner identified decades ago in pigeons pecking at a lever, the same one that makes slot machines more profitable than casinos' restaurants and shows combined. You don't know what the next video will be. That not-knowing is the entire product. My brain wasn't failing that morning. It was working exactly as intended, by people who understand it better than I do.

I read somewhere, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since, that a phone notification isn't really a notification at all. It's an alarm clock, except you didn't set it, a company did, and they set it for whatever time makes it most likely you'll come back and give them your attention again. I used to think of my phone buzzing as information arriving. Now I think of it as somebody else's alarm going off in my pocket, on somebody else's schedule, for somebody else's reasons.

What Fast Fashion Actually Costs

The fashion industry produces something close to ten percent of all global carbon emissions, more than every international flight and every cargo ship on Earth combined. Something like thirty five percent of the microplastic fiber polluting our oceans comes specifically from washing synthetic clothes, roughly five hundred thousand tonnes of it every single year, the rough equivalent of fifty billion plastic bottles, released one laundry cycle at a time. None of that is happening because people are cruel. It's happening because an entire industry figured out, the same way the app in my pocket did, that speed and novelty sell better than durability ever could. You don't need clothes to last if the algorithm can convince you that wanting the next thing matters more than keeping the last one.

That's the same trick, wearing a different outfit. Fast fashion doesn't sell clothes. It sells the tiny hit of newness, over and over, and the ocean is quietly paying the bill for our inability to sit still with what we already own.

What the Mirror Actually Reflects Now

The cosmetics feed is built on a version of the same architecture, just aimed at the body instead of the wardrobe. Meta's own internal research, leaked in 2021, found that a significant share of teenage girls using Instagram said the app made their feelings about their own bodies worse, and the company had known this for years before it became public. Beauty platforms don't need to invent insecurity from nothing. They just need to notice which insecurity you already have and make sure it's the first thing you see tomorrow morning too.

The industry doesn't stop at noticing, though, it manufactures the reference point too. The biggest fashion and beauty websites hire the same handful of highly bankable actresses as the face of every campaign, and the message underneath the campaign is never subtle even when it's never said out loud, this is what attention looks like, and you don't currently look like this. Once that comparison is planted, the fixes arrive in a very specific order, never as one dramatic change but as a routine, lip fillers, then something for the body hair, then botox, then whichever hair treatment is trending this quarter, each one small enough to seem reasonable on its own, each one just the next logical step in a maintenance schedule that never actually finishes. Nobody sells you permanent satisfaction. They sell you a daily routine, and a routine, by definition, is something you never get to stop doing.

I don't think this makes the women scrolling through it vain or shallow, any more than I was being reckless watching three videos in a row I never chose to watch. I think it means the mirror has been quietly replaced with something that profits every time you don't like what you see in it.

What Poetry Never Had to Compete With

I've written before, in an earlier piece, about how differently I've said I miss you in a poem versus in an email, how one just carries information and the other carries the actual weight underneath it. I think something similar and much darker has happened to intimacy itself over the last two decades. Porn didn't invent desire, obviously. But it did something poetry never had the power to do at this scale: it gave an entire generation a specific, repeatable script for what desire is supposed to look like, sound like, perform like, long before most of them had any real intimacy of their own to compare it against.

I don't think that's a moral failing in anyone who grew up inside it. I think it's what happens when the first version of something you ever see becomes, by default, the version you measure everything real against. Poetry used to be one of the places a person could go to find language for a feeling before they'd fully had it. I worry that role has been quietly taken over by something with a completely different incentive, something optimized for watch time, not for truth.

The Same Product, Three Different Aisles

Here's what actually connects the fast fashion video to the porn podcast to the cosmetics video, and I don't think the algorithm meant to teach me this lesson, but it did. All three are selling the exact same thing: a gap between what you have and what you're told you should want, engineered to never quite close. Laid out side by side, the pattern is almost embarrassingly simple, show the gap, offer relief, let the relief run out fast, let the gap reopen a little wider than before, and start again. Close that gap and the business model collapses. The clothes have to feel outdated by next season. The face in the mirror has to feel like it needs one more product. The intimacy has to feel like it's missing some choreography you haven't learned yet.

I think about something I wrote in an earlier piece in this series, about how religion is one of the oldest, best-told stories our species ever built, and how it survives exactly as long as a community keeps choosing to believe it. I think the algorithm has quietly become a newer version of the same machine. It doesn't need to be true. It only needs to be felt strongly enough, often enough, that you stop noticing it's a story at all.

The Discourse We Could Have Instead

I keep imagining what a completely different kind of dinner conversation would sound like, one where a family sits over a meal and actually discusses creative ways to cut water use at home, or talks through, out loud, how to make a manufactured desire feel smaller than it did that morning, starting with simply not buying another item of clothing nobody in the house actually needed. I don't think that conversation is naive. I think it's the only real alternative to the loop, because the loop only works as long as the gap stays invisible, and naming it out loud, at a table, with people you love, is one of the few things that makes it visible again.

I think about what kind of architecture, in the broadest sense, could actually hold that. Not just buildings, but routines, relationships, whole households designed so that there's always a surplus of care available before a bad day turns into a purchase, or a scroll, or a comparison that didn't need to happen. Embrace the body you already have. Embrace the nature that doesn't need you to buy anything from it to be worth walking through. Embrace the relationships already sitting near you, the ones that were never going to sell you a routine to stay in them.

Where I've Landed

I still don't have a clean answer for what to do with a morning like that one, three videos, zero minutes of rest, a nervous system that took the rest of the day to actually settle back down. What I keep coming back to is the ten minutes, or the two hours, I'd already spent with the book before any of it started. That time wasn't fighting for my attention. It was just there, whenever I was ready to give it.

I think that might be the only real countermeasure to any of this, not outrage at the algorithm, not quitting the apps entirely, just protecting the part of the morning that doesn't ask anything of me before I've decided what I actually want to give it. The book never once tried to keep me reading past the point I meant to stop. I'm starting to think that's the actual definition of something that respects you, and I don't think it's a coincidence that almost nothing else in my feed that morning could say the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

बिरहा का गीत

मेरी आख़िरी कविता

एकांत - गोपाल