I Spent a Decade Looking for God. Here's What I Found Instead.


Somewhere north of two hundred podcasts. More than sixty books, dog-eared and underlined, stacked on a shelf that used to hold scripture. A decade of nights where I told myself I'd sleep after just one more chapter, one more lecture, one more debate clip, and then watched the clock cross four in the morning anyway. I did this for years before I let myself say out loud what I was actually doing: trying to find out if God was real, using every tool except the one I was raised to use, which was simply believing.

Here's the honest end of that search. There is no truth waiting at the bottom of it, not the kind I was hoping for. What I found instead were parameters, the edges of what evolution and consciousness can currently explain and the much larger space just outside those edges where I still don't know anything. I didn't find God. I found a haunted question I can't put down, and I've decided that's a more honest place to live than certainty was.

Where It Started

I was a hard believer before 2014, the kind who didn't need to check whether the sun would rise. That was also the year two things happened that turned out to be the same thing wearing different clothes. I sat my first ten-day Vipassana course, and I read a sentence from Richard Dawkins that I have never fully recovered from:

"Faith is belief without evidence and reason; coincidentally that's also the definition of delusion."
— Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

It wasn't rhetoric. It was a definition, and it fit too well to ignore.

I was raised in a family of believers, people who already had an answer for who built the universe. So the unlearning took years, not an afternoon. Osho on the difference between a conditioned mind and a free one. Krishnamurti, who in 1929 stood in front of thousands of his own followers and dissolved the religious order built around him, telling them:

"Truth is a pathless land."
— Jiddu Krishnamurti, 1929

No organisation, he said, could ever lead a person to it. Dostoevsky, working out through Ivan Karamazov the terrifying idea that if God does not exist, everything is permitted, and then spending the rest of that novel trying to find out if that terror was actually true. Kafka, who never needed God to feel judged by something vast and incomprehensible anyway.

A Universe That Was Never Waiting for Us

Once the door was open, I went looking for scale, because scale is the fastest way to test a claim against its real size.

The universe is about 13.8 billion years old. The first stars didn't switch on until roughly 100 to 400 million years after that, which means there was a genuinely long stretch of cosmic history that was simply dark. Our planet formed about 4.54 billion years ago, and the first life on it appears in the rock record around 3.7 to 3.8 billion years ago, single cells with no eyes, no mind, no use whatsoever for a creation story. Since then, Earth has been through five mass extinctions, the worst of them the Permian extinction roughly 252 million years ago, which erased somewhere around 90 percent of all species alive at the time. Whatever was watching over life on this planet let nine out of every ten species die in that one event.

Our own species, Homo sapiens, shows up in the fossil record at Jebel Irhoud in Morocco about 300,000 years ago. Agriculture, the thing that let us stop moving and start building anything permanent, is roughly 12,000 years old. Writing, the technology every scripture on Earth depended on to survive past a single generation, is about 5,000 years old. Set next to that timeline, every major religion I know of is almost embarrassingly recent. The Vedic tradition, roughly 3,500 years old. Judaism, in a similar range. Zoroastrianism, around 3,500 years. Buddhism, about 2,500. Christianity, 2,000. Islam, roughly 1,400. All of it crammed into the last 2 percent of the time our species has existed, which is itself a rounding error against the 4.54 billion years the planet has been here.

Earth sits about 26,000 light-years from the center of our own galaxy. The nearest star beyond our sun is 4.24 light-years away. The nearest full galaxy, Andromeda, is 2.5 million light-years away. And our galaxy is only one of somewhere between 200 billion and 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe, depending on whose telescope did the counting last. Stephen Hawking spent the later part of his career arguing that none of this needed a designer to begin with:

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing."
— Stephen Hawking, The Grand Design

I'm not a physicist and I can't independently verify M-theory. But I can hold the numbers next to the story I was raised on, a universe built with a very young, very small species at the center of its intention, and see which one is actually straining under its own weight.

What Good Storytelling Can Build

Here's what convinced me more than any number did. I'm Hindu by birth, and during Navratri my family keeps a strict vegetarian fast. A few states away, in Bengal, the same nine nights are spent offering meat and fish to a form of the same goddess. Same tradition, same deity, opposite ritual, both sides certain they're the one following her correctly. That isn't a quirky footnote. It's proof the ritual is coming from us, not from her, and it changes shape depending on which humans are doing the telling.

Yuval Noah Harari built an entire framework around this exact observation, and it's the one idea from the last decade of reading that reorganized everything else I'd learned:

"There are no gods, no nations, no money... except in our collective imagination."
— Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens

His argument, stripped down, is that our species' entire advantage over every other animal on Earth is our unmatched ability to cooperate at scale by agreeing to believe the same fiction together. Religion isn't uniquely false in that framework. It's just the oldest, most successful fiction we ever agreed on as a species, running for longer and recruiting more believers than money, the nation-state, or any corporation ever has.

I tested this on myself once, the way you'd test a hypothesis. Imagine I founded a religion tomorrow, and its central rite required a man to cut off one finger before marrying the person he loves. Grotesque, on its own. Give it forty years, a founding myth, a generation of practitioners who did it and survived to tell their children it meant something, and a language sophisticated enough to frame the scar as devotion rather than injury, and it becomes doctrine. People will defend it with their whole chest. Not because it's true. Because it was told well, by enough people, for long enough, that it stopped feeling like a story at all.

Fiction, given a community willing to enforce it, has done exactly this at civilizational scale before, and not only in ancient history. Watch how the fictional world of Game of Thrones builds its own religions from scratch across a handful of decades inside the story, the Faith of the Seven with its High Septon, the followers of the red god R'hllor convinced their fires show them the future, the Old Gods of the First Men, worshipped through weirwood trees with carved faces. None of them existed before the author invented them. All of them are, within the story, treated by entire kingdoms as eternal, unquestionable truth, right up until Cersei Lannister burns the Great Sept of Baelor to the ground with the High Septon and half the religious establishment still inside it, and the faith that felt unshakeable to millions of fictional people is revealed, in one afternoon, to have only ever been as strong as the community enforcing it. That's fiction showing its own hand. It's also, I think, exactly how real religion has always worked. Not eternal. Communal, and only as durable as the community that keeps choosing to believe it.

The One I Haven't Closed

Ten-day Vipassana courses are, by the tradition's own account, a compression. Historically the practice was taught over seven weeks. Across the twentieth century, teachers shortened it, first to thirty days, then two weeks, until it settled at the ten-day minimum the tradition itself considers the shortest span in which the mind can actually begin to settle. I sat my first course in 2014, the same year Dawkins cracked something open in me, and I've gone back more than once since. It remains the closest I've come to observing consciousness directly instead of just using it to think about everything else.

And this is where I have to be honest about the thinkers who shaped this decade, because I owe them more precision than a highlight reel.

Alex O'Connor, who built the channel Cosmic Skeptic starting as a teenager, is not the easy answer some people want him to be. I've followed nearly everything he's put out, and what I actually learned from him wasn't a tidy case against God, it was a standard for how rigorously you're required to interrogate a claim before you're allowed to feel settled about it, in either direction. He built his early reputation taking apart the classical arguments for God's existence with real philosophical precision, and one line of his has stayed with me since I first heard it:

"It's a fairly intuitive point that if there were a God who existed... it seems surprising, at the very least, that so many people are restricted from experience of, or with, this God."
— Alex O'Connor

But the honest update, and the one that actually deepened my respect for him, is that years and an Oxford philosophy degree later, he's said openly that he's increasingly drawn toward idealist views of reality rather than the confident atheism he started with as a teenager. That's not weakness. That's what taking a question seriously for a decade is supposed to look like. He taught me the discipline of doubt applies to your own conclusions too, not just to the ones you started out rejecting.

Javed Akhtar has never hidden behind diplomacy on this.

"I am an atheist, I have no religious beliefs."
— Javed Akhtar

He's argued that faith and belief are two different things, that belief can be substantiated while faith by definition cannot, and that:

"Religion should be there, definitely. But it should be in the museum."
— Javed Akhtar

Not destroyed. Preserved, the way we preserve everything else humanity outgrew the daily need for.

I don't think either of them, or Dawkins, or Harari, or Hawking, actually closes the door I still find myself standing in front of. Every one of them is extraordinarily convincing on why the god of scripture doesn't hold up. None of them, and I've listened closely for a decade waiting for it, actually explains what consciousness is, why there is something it is like to be me reading these words rather than nothing at all. That gap doesn't behave like religion does. It doesn't dissolve the moment enough people stop believing in it, the way Harari's fictions do. It's the one thing still standing in the room after I've cleared everything else out of it.

Where I've Landed

I don't believe in God anymore, not the version I was raised with, not any version that has survived contact with the evidence I've spent a decade collecting. I think God is the oldest and best-told story our species has ever built, reinforced by community the same way the Faith of the Seven was, reinforced by ritual the same way a Navratri fast is, and vulnerable to exactly the same kind of collapse the moment the community enforcing it stops choosing to.

What I haven't rejected, because ten years of reading hasn't given me the standing to, is the mystery of what's actually doing the noticing in the first place. Not a god. Just the raw, unexplained fact of experience itself, sitting on a meditation cushion since 2014, still there every single time I go looking for it. Evolution can tell me why a mind like mine was useful enough to survive. It hasn't yet told me why there's something it feels like to have one. I don't think science has closed that question. I think it might, someday, in a century I won't live to see. Until then, this is the haunted question I actually found at the end of all that reading, and I'd rather carry it honestly than trade it for an answer I no longer believe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

बिरहा का गीत

मेरी आख़िरी कविता

एकांत - गोपाल