A Journal on Schools, Bells, and the Corridor We Never Question


I drop my daughter at the school gate most mornings, and for a long time I watched the same scene without actually seeing it. The uniform rows. The bell that cuts a sentence off mid-thought whether the thought was finished or not. The line she has to stand in, shortest to tallest, before anyone asks her a single question about what she's curious about that day. I've walked past that gate for years before I let myself ask the obvious question. Who actually designed this, and what were they trying to build.

Who Actually Designed This

The honest answer surprised me. The basic architecture of the classroom my daughter sits in, age-segregated grades, a bell-driven schedule, a standardized curriculum delivered the same way to every child regardless of what's actually going on in their head that day, wasn't designed by anyone thinking about children first. It was built in early nineteenth century Prussia, in the years after Napoleon's army humiliated them, by a state that needed something very specific from its next generation: obedient soldiers, compliant factory and farm workers, clerks who wouldn't question instructions, and citizens who thought alike on most things that mattered to the state. Horace Mann imported the model to Massachusetts in 1852, and it became the skeleton every public school system since has been built on, including, eventually, the one at the end of my daughter's street.

I want to be honest that historians argue about how literally to take this story. Some push back hard on the idea that Prussian planners sat down and deliberately engineered obedience the way the popular version of this story suggests. But even the more careful version of the history agrees on the basic shape, a system optimized for uniformity, discipline, and standardized output, built for a specific kind of economy that needed a specific kind of citizen. I don't think it matters whether the Prussians drew that up on a whiteboard on purpose. What matters is that the shape survived two centuries mostly intact, and it's the shape my daughter walks into every morning, built for an economy that no longer exists.

School is two hundred years overdue for closure.

I don't mean that literally, not the buildings, not the teachers, not even the calendar. I mean the shape underneath it, the one nobody in charge has seriously re-examined since the Prussians first drew it up.

The Boy on the Balcony

I have someone in my life I never call a cousin, even though that's the technical word for what he is, because he's always felt like a younger brother instead. He stopped going to school after the fifth grade. He's around twenty now, and if you met him without knowing his history, you'd assume he'd been given every advantage a childhood can offer. He's a tattoo artist who draws every design out of his own imagination before it ever touches skin. He plays guitar, acoustic and electric both. He's teaching himself to code. He knows mythology the way some people know sports statistics, has a real working sense of geopolitics, swims, plays tennis, trains in MMA, and reads philosophy for pleasure, not for anyone's syllabus. None of this happened by accident and none of it happened because he was simply born gifted. He and his parents built it, deliberately, year by year, the same patient way you'd build anything meant to last.

Most mornings he wakes up around noon. He told me once that he likes to sit near the balcony around the time school lets out, and watch the children walking home with what he called dull faces, and feel, without any cruelty in it, that he's simply not in that race anymore. My body has been his blank canvas for years, every design he's ever wanted to try out finding its way onto my skin first, because I let him, because I trusted where his hands were going before either of us had proof. I still remember the exact discomfort of the evening he pierced my right ear, his first piercing ever attempted on another person. What followed wasn't quick or clean. I carried an unwanted fungus and a low, persistent pain in that ear for close to six months afterward. I don't regret it. I still don't fully know how to explain why that felt like the right thing to let him do to me, except that some kinds of trust only mean anything if they cost you something real.

What Actually Taught Me

I never went to college myself, after senior secondary school. Everything I actually know how to do, including the coding that now lets me build my own website by hand, I learned from the internet, at my own pace, chasing my own curiosity instead of somebody else's syllabus. I still carry the same instinct my younger brother acted on so much more completely than I did. I call it a virus sometimes, half joking, because it never fully leaves you once you've seen how well it works. But I'll admit honestly that the mutations haven't happened in me the way they did in him. I stayed close enough to the conventional track to still call myself shaped by it, even as I rejected most of what it tried to teach me.

Sir Ken Robinson is a huge part of why I trust that instinct instead of doubting it. Every time I go back to his talks, whatever question I already had about schooling gets validated, not dismissed. He often pointed to a study, originally developed to identify creative potential in NASA engineers and later given to over a thousand young children, that found something startling about divergent thinking, the ability to imagine many possible answers instead of hunting for the one correct one. Ninety eight percent of five year olds tested at what the researchers called a genius level. By age ten, it had fallen to roughly thirty percent. By fifteen, around twelve percent. Among adults, only two percent. I should say plainly that some researchers have since pushed back hard on exactly how rigorous that original study was, and I think that caveat is worth keeping in view rather than hiding. But even the more skeptical readings of it agree on the direction of the finding, whatever creative capacity we start with, something about the years in between reliably narrows it, and formal schooling is sitting right in the middle of those years, every single time.

The Elder Daughter

The girl I walk to that gate every morning shares a home with me and my brother that runs on more care than the ordinary arrangement most families settle for, and she doesn't fully know, and may never need to know, which one of us is her father in the way the world usually insists on defining that word. I see something in her eyes most mornings that I can only call quiet pain, a small, real reluctance to walk through that gate. I still send her. Her days there aren't only filled with printed papers and memorized answers, and I haven't yet decided at what age, if any, I'll trust myself enough to say this is where I take over instead. In the afternoons she recites passages back to me from my own book, not from memory of stories I've told her but from the pages themselves, and listens to whatever new story I've built for her that day, and I think that hour does more for her than the six before it usually manage to.

I ask her often what she wants to do with her life. At four years old she already has an answer ready, a chartered accountant, a doctor, a police officer, whichever one occurs to her first that day. They're noble professions, every one of them, and I never correct her. But I want her to eventually know there's an entire world of other answers nobody's offered her yet. She could become a librarian, spending her days in the company of books instead of people. A herpetologist, patient enough to study creatures most people flinch away from. Someone who teaches other children permaculture. A yoga teacher. A storyteller, like her father apparently turned out to be. Or she could become nothing in particular, an ordinary woman earning slowly, unhurried, entirely outside anyone's definition of ambition, and I want that option to feel just as legitimate to her as the first three she already reaches for by default.

The Question I Won't Let Her Be Asked

I don't think a child should ever be pulled into a conversation about the purpose of life. I think it's a senseless question dressed up as a profound one, because it doesn't actually have an answer, and the answer that fits a doctor won't fit a storyteller, and the one that fits a storyteller won't fit a monk. I think about this often against the scale I wrote about in an earlier piece in this series, the hundreds of billions of galaxies, the species that's existed for a rounding error of a fraction of the planet's history. Against a backdrop that size, I don't think we're anywhere near as central to the story as school, or ambition, or the working world ever teaches a child to assume. Osho spent a great deal of his teaching on exactly this point, that life isn't a problem waiting to be solved or a project waiting to be justified by some destination at the end of it, that the demand for purpose is what turns a life into a business instead of something actually lived.

There's no purpose of life. That's the whole point.

I think a child deserves slow mornings before she's handed that kind of pressure. Slow readings. The patience to sit with a hard idea until it opens on its own schedule instead of the bell's. The same patience, eventually, to sit with another person's flaws long enough to find what's good underneath them too, because I don't think that skill arrives fully formed in adulthood if nobody made room for it earlier.

What the Screen Has Taught Me About This

I'm a committed lover of cinema, and two films have stayed with me lately for reasons that feel connected to everything above. In the Spanish series The Map of Longing, the lead's grandfather is quietly, constantly present in her life in a way her own overwhelmed parents can't manage to be, and watching him fill that space without ever needing credit for it moved me more than almost anything else in the show. And I recently rewatched The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, the true story of William Kamkwamba, a boy in Malawi pulled out of school entirely because his family couldn't afford the fees, who taught himself physics from a library textbook and built a working windmill out of scrap bicycle parts to save his village from famine. Nobody in that story needed a bell to tell him class was over. He built something that fed people because the hunger was real and the curiosity was his own. I felt an almost unreasonable satisfaction watching it, the same satisfaction I feel watching my younger brother wake up at noon with a guitar and a tattoo needle and an entire self-built education nobody can take away from him.

Where I've Landed

There are no failures in any of this, only learning, and I think fame and success are inventions of the wider social race, not facts about what a life actually needs to be worth living. I want every child to feel the way I feel every time I simply breathe, the way my brother feels alive without ever needing to be someone, without needing to prove himself inside anyone else's definition of arrival. A school could absolutely make room for that, replacing part of its rigid curriculum with real exposure to the smaller, stranger professions the world actually contains. I don't think it will, not because the idea is impractical, but because the entire system was never really built for this child in front of me. It was built as one long corridor, school into job into marriage into children into retirement, and questioning any single door in that corridor means questioning all of them.

We're still walking toward that corridor, most of us, without ever being handed a real roadmap or a real philosophy for why.

School was never meant to last this long.

Not this exact version of it, not the bells, not the rows, not a system built for an economy that finished dying before my daughter was even born. I can't pull her out of the gate tomorrow and hand her my brother's life instead. But I can keep letting her recite passages from my book in the afternoon, keep telling her there are answers to that question at four years old beyond the three she already reaches for, and keep trusting that the slow, unhurried life I've quietly built around her might end up teaching her more than the bell ever will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

बिरहा का गीत

मेरी आख़िरी कविता

एकांत - गोपाल