Journal No. 9 · Nothing, Then Everything: The Shiva and Parvati Story
Here's a strange fact from physics. When the universe began, it made matter and something called antimatter in equal amounts. The two are opposites. Whenever they touch, they destroy each other completely, and nothing is left behind but light. By that rule, the whole universe should have wiped itself out in its first second. It didn't. For some reason nobody has ever fully explained, a tiny bit more matter survived than antimatter, just one extra particle for every billion pairs that vanished. That tiny leftover is the only reason anything exists at all, the stars, the oceans, the hand writing this sentence. I was a child standing in front of a temple lamp long before I ever heard this fact, and I think, in my own small way, I was already circling the same question, just in a smaller room, with worse instruments.
I went to temple twice a day as a teenager, performed the aarti properly, learned the exact rhythm of the bell, recited the Hanuman Chalisa often enough that I still know it the way you know a childhood address, without thinking about the order of the words. Devotion wasn't a choice I made each morning back then. It was the shape of the morning itself. Then, slowly, the way most real change happens, the shape started to loosen. Cinema pulled one thread. Vipassana, which I started in 2014, pulled a deeper one, and I began asking questions I had never once let myself ask, not because anyone told me to, but because I had finally sat still long enough to notice they'd been there the whole time.
I spent years afterward building an argument the way you'd build a wall, one brick set carefully on the last. Richard Dawkins gave me a definition of faith sharp enough to cut through the version I'd inherited. Osho gave me permission to distrust the institutions built around belief. S.N. Goenka gave me a technique instead of a doctrine, something I could test inside my own body instead of taking on anyone's word. Yuval Noah Harari showed me that gods, nations, and money belong to the same category of thing, shared stories that only function because enough people agree to believe them at once. The Buddha, read properly, never asked me to believe anything at all, only to look. By the time I'd read enough of all of them, I had what felt like a finished wall. I wasn't only doubting a creator anymore. I had reasons stacked carefully enough that I didn't think any single scholar could talk me back out of the position. I settled into it the way you settle into a chair you've already checked is sturdy.
Certainty, it turns out, is a strange thing to build a wall out of, because a wall only needs one crack to stop being a wall. Mine cracked on a doomscroll, of all places, a clip from Friends where Phoebe, cornered by Ross and his actual briefcase of fossils, refuses to simply concede. Wasn't there a time, she asks him, when the brightest minds alive believed the earth was flat. And wasn't the atom, until it split open fifty years ago, supposed to be the smallest thing there was. Now are you telling me, she says, that you're so unbelievably arrogant you can't admit there's a teeny, tiny possibility that you could be wrong about this. It's a comedy scene. I know that. But it reached past the joke and found the exact seam in my own certainty, not about God specifically, about certainty as a category, the same seam that separates the antimatter that survived from the antimatter that didn't, a difference science can measure precisely and still not fully explain.
So I went back, not looking for truth this time, but for whatever the people who built these old stories had actually been trying to do with them. I don't think, anymore, that they were doing failed science, early and primitive attempts at explanations Dawkins or Harari would later get right. I think they were building something science was never designed to build in the first place, a model durable enough to survive two thousand years of being told by illiterate grandmothers to children who couldn't yet read, encoding what they'd noticed about consciousness, desire, grief, and creation into a form that didn't need laboratories to be tested, only generations. The facts, for me, haven't moved. I still don't believe a creator sat outside the universe and built it on purpose. What's moved is what I think a story like this is actually for, and how much scientific evidence I now think a claim needs before it's allowed to carry real moral weight. Very little of what follows would survive a peer review. Almost all of it, I've come to think, deserves to survive anyway.
Because look at what they actually built when they sat down to explain why anything exists at all. In the tradition that eventually became Kashmir Shaivism, Shiva isn't a person. He's consciousness itself, still, aware, entirely formless until something moves through it. Parvati, as Shakti, is the energy that actually does anything, the force that turns stillness into a universe. Neither one alone produces anything real, and the old texts don't just argue this, they show it, in a single image, Ardhanarishvara, Shiva split directly down the middle, one half unmistakably male, the other half just as fully a woman. The Shiva Purana explains why the image exists at all. Brahma had already finished creating the world, but nothing in it was multiplying, nothing growing, the whole project stalled at exactly the count he'd started with. He went to Shiva for help, and Shiva didn't answer as a man. He appeared as Ardhanarishvara, and it was the female half of that single body Brahma had to pray to, because creation had never been a male act a female character helped along from the side. It had always required both halves of one being, awareness and energy, meeting inside a single form rather than standing at arm's length from each other, which is close enough to my antimatter question that I don't think it's a coincidence either.
That same union has a beginning, and the beginning isn't gentle. Sati, Shiva's first wife, married him against her father Daksha's wishes, and Daksha never forgave the insult of it. When he held a grand yajna, he invited every god in the heavens except his own daughter and her husband, and Sati went anyway, uninvited, and was humiliated publicly for the man she'd chosen. She walked into the sacrificial fire rather than carry it. What Shiva did next is one of the most violent grief scenes in any mythology I know. He tore two locks from his own hair and threw them to the ground, and out of that grief came Virabhadra and the goddess Kali, formed from pure rage, sent to tear the yajna apart and take Daksha's head. Even a god, this story insists, has to be physically stopped from carrying grief forever, and it takes Vishnu himself, cutting Sati's body into pieces with the Sudarshana Chakra as Shiva carries it endlessly across the universe, to finally set it back down.
Sati returns as Parvati, daughter of the mountain king Himavan, already certain of who she wants, and what she does to reach him is the part I think gets skipped most often. She doesn't wait outside his cave. She leaves her father's comfort and gives her own life up in pieces, fruit first, then only fallen leaves, until she gives up the leaves too and earns the name Aparna, the one who eats not even a leaf. She stands on one leg for years, through summer fire, direct sun, unbroken monsoon, until the texts say predator and prey lie down together in the radius of her discipline, the ordinary rules of the wilderness briefly suspended around her. None of it moves Shiva for a long time, not because he's cruel, but because he genuinely isn't looking. So the other gods, desperate, because a demon named Tarakasura has secured a boon that only a son of Shiva can ever kill him, send Kamadeva, the god of desire, to shoot a flower-tipped arrow and force the matter. It works for exactly one unguarded second. Shiva feels the pull the way any living thing feels a pull, sees what caused it, opens his third eye, and burns Kamadeva to ash.
He doesn't reject Parvati in that moment. He rejects the arrow, desire manufactured from outside and aimed at him by gods with their own agenda, refusing to let it be the reason he finally opens his eyes. It's Parvati's own years of unmanufactured devotion that eventually reach him instead, tested once more when he disguises himself as a bitter old ascetic and insults his own name just to see whether her feeling has a foundation beyond infatuation. She stays anyway. Only then does he reveal himself. Kamadeva's ash becomes the reason he's still called Ananga afterward, the bodiless one, love that exists everywhere precisely because it no longer needs a body or an arrow to move through, and their son Kartikeya is born specifically to kill the demon no manufactured arrow could have produced, because only a union built on tested, unforced devotion could generate a force strong enough to hold cosmic order in place.
I don't think holding order in place was ever going to be the end of the story, though, because the same texts that describe how order gets built are just as specific about how it eventually comes undone. The gods and the demons, in this cosmology, aren't separate species locked in an external war. They're family, sons of the same sage Kashyapa through different mothers, order and chaos sharing a father and simply choosing differently once they're grown, which is a stranger and more honest claim than most modern retellings give it credit for. Among that demon lineage is a figure also called Kali, not the goddess born from Shiva's grief, a different being entirely who happens to share her name, born as the spirit of the age we're currently living inside, the Kali Yuga, described in texts written well over a thousand years ago with a precision that still unsettles me. Deceit passed off as cleverness. Wealth mistaken for worth. Attachment mistaken for love and cruelty mistaken for judgment. Relationships that used to require years of trust collapsing into transactions completed in an afternoon. I've spent this entire series writing about exactly those symptoms without once naming the diagnosis, algorithms manufacturing desire we never asked for, schools optimized for obedience instead of understanding, rebellion performed for an audience instead of lived for its own sake. I don't think the people who wrote the Kali Yuga down were predicting my century specifically. I think they were describing a pattern precise enough to recur, and it has.
Kalki is the answer this cosmology gives to that pattern, the tenth and final avatar of Vishnu, prophesied to appear only at the very end of this age, riding a white horse with a sword bright enough to end whatever corruption the age has accumulated by then, clearing the ground completely so a truer age can begin again. He hasn't arrived. That's the part worth sitting with longer than the drama of the prophecy itself. We aren't reading this story from its ending. We're standing somewhere in its unfinished middle, the same middle the scholars who wrote it down were standing in, which means whatever they encoded here wasn't a comfortable prediction of someone else's future. It was a warning about their own present, dressed carefully enough in myth to survive being repeated by people who wouldn't fully understand it for another thousand years, which might be exactly what's happening to it now.
And here's the part that still makes me angriest, once I actually went looking properly instead of just performing the puja the way I was taught to. Shiva is worshipped in nearly every household I grew up around, ash-smeared, living at the edge of a cremation ground, keeping company with ghosts and outcasts, married against a father's explicit wishes, with no fixed home, no conventional job, none of the things a respectable family checks for in a groom. I would bet almost anything that if an actual man who lived exactly like that showed up asking to marry most of those same families' daughters, he'd be rejected before he finished the sentence. We worship the aesthetic and reject the substance every single time it shows up in ordinary clothes instead of on an altar, and I think that gap, more than any single symptom on its own, is the clearest sign that we're still standing inside the age this story warned us about, mistaking the performance of belief for the understanding it was supposed to protect.
There's only a small thing I want to end on, out of everything this mythology ever tried to teach. Of the whole pantheon, only two figures are still genuinely, actively loved in the present tense rather than merely worshipped out of habit or fear, loved the way you love something because it once loved you back without condition. Hanuman, for a devotion so complete he tore his own chest open once just to show Ram he lived inside it. Shiva, for a grief so total it took the universe itself intervening to set it back down. I don't think it matters, for the story to still be doing its job, whether either of them was ever literally real. I think it matters that someone understood, long before any of us had the instruments to measure a stray particle of matter surviving its own antimatter, exactly what kind of love a species like ours would need a story to keep teaching it, long after the person who first understood it was gone. I still don't believe in a creator. I've simply stopped being able to call the story a lie.

Comments
Post a Comment